- 12 large or 16 small squash blossoms
- 1/3 cup fresh goat cheese
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmigiano, Asiago and/or Pecorino cheeses, grated
- 1 tablespoon mixed chopped fresh herbs (basil, marjoram, parsley, cilantro and mint are options)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup toasted ground bread crumbs
- Olive oil
Mix the cheeses with the herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Add just enough egg to keep everything together (keep the remaining egg to use later).
Put the cheese mixture into a pastry bag, use it to fill the squash blossoms and then twist the ends of the blossoms to enclose the filling. Dip the stuffed blossoms gently into the remaining beaten eggs, and then roll them lightly in toasted ground bread crumbs. Fry quickly in about a half-inch of olive oil, turning to brown all sides.
About this recipe
Rancho Pinot serves the squash blossoms with an arugula salad topped with a cherry tomato vinaigrette as an appetizer.