- 1 cup (112 grams) walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, roasted and finely chopped
- 1–3 teaspoons (5–15 grams) chile flakes or Aleppo pepper
- 1½ tablespoons (20 grams) black cumin seeds (nigella seed)
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) dried coriander
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) olive oil (reserve some to drizzle over the top)
- 1 cup (128 grams) whole/roughly chopped walnut pieces
Mix all ingredients except walnut pieces by hand in a large bowl. Alternatively, you can pulse all ingredients in a food processor for a smoother texture.
Spread the mixture on a serving plate and top with roughly chopped walnuts and a drizzle of olive oil. Enjoy with pita or saj bread.
About this recipe
Reprinted with permission from Soufra, Recipes from a Refugee Food Truck (Rebelhouse Publishing, 2017). The book (and the movie) document the uplifting story of Mariam Shaar’s efforts to empower the women of the Burj el-Barajneh camp in Lebanon. Although the journey was long and twisting, it ultimately culminated in the establishment of the first refugee food truck funded through a Kickstarter campaign. (See soufrafilm.com)
The film, Soufra, will be offered as part of Local First Arizona’s Relish film series at Filmbar on Thursday October 11, 2018 (with a repeat showing of the film only on Saturday, October 13). See ediblephoenix.com/soufra.