- 1 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
- 2 bulbs fennel, minced into very small pieces
- ¼ cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- ¼ cup White Fairy absinthe (Pernod or another anisette may be substituted)*
- 2 tablespoons fennel fronds, finely chopped
- Pinch fennel pollen (optional)
Begin by toasting the ground fennel seeds in a flat, heavy-bottomed sauté pan. When it is aromatic and has started to brown, add the minced fennel, sugar, salt and absinthe. Simmer slowly until the fennel is soft. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and cool in the refrigerator. When completely cold, stir in the chopped fennel fronds and the fennel pollen.
About this recipe
*White Fairy absinthe is a white, rather than green, absinthe with a lower alcohol content and milder licorice flavor. It can be found at wine and spirit supply stores.