- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup evaporated cane sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 medium parsnip, shredded
- 1 small zucchini, shredded
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup apple butter or pumpkin butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
Heat oven to 375°. Oil two 8 1/2- by 4 1/2- by 21/2-inch loaf pans with olive oil.
In a large bowl combine the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and shredded carrot, parsnip and zucchini. Mix well. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, fruit butter, olive oil and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined, but don't over mix.
Divide batter between the prepared pans and sprinkle the tops with pumpkin seeds. Bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. Let cool on wire racks.
Recipe reprinted from True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure by Andrew Weil, MD, and Sam Fox, with Michael Stebner (Little, Brown and Co., 2012).