- 2 cups puréed seeded watermelon
- 1 package (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese*
- A generous pinch of salt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ½ cup agave syrup or nectar**, optional
- ½ to 1 cup watermelon flavoring such as Monin***, optional
Add all non-optional ingredients to a blender and blend on the lowest speed only until the mascarpone is incorporated. Do not allow the mixture to become frothy.
Taste and adjust the balance of sweet, sour and salty to your taste. If your watermelon lacks intense flavor, add the watermelon flavoring. If the flavor is good, but a sweeter product is desired, add the agave syrup.
Serve chilled in small cups or glasses.
About this recipe
* Mascarpone cheese is a rich double- or triple-cream Italian cheese similar to clotted cream. It is available at Trader Joe’s, AJs and from fine cheese suppliers.
** Agave syrup is a mild sweetener available at Whole Foods and health food stores. Unlike honey, it does not harden when it is cold.
*** Monin flavoring/sweetener is available in restaurant supply stores or at moninstore.com.
Recipe compliments of Ulysio Williams, pastry chef at Mosaic Restaurant and Lounge.