- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon Chardonnay vinegar (or other light white vinegar such as Champagne)
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large shallot, peeled and thinly sliced (¼ cup)
- 1 medium bulb fennel (approximately 2 cups thinly sliced)
- 1 small jicama (approximately 1½ cups peeled and diced into ¼-inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel fronds
- 2 oranges, peeled and sliced horizontally
Combine all the ingredients for the dressing and whisk together. Set aside.
Thinly slice/shave the shallots and the bulb of the fennel (discarding the stalks but keeping the fronds). Finely chop the fronds to make 2 tablespoons.
Dice the jicama into quarter-inch cubes.
In a bowl, combine the shallot, fennel, jicama and fennel fronds. Toss with the dressing. Let marinate for roughly 15 minutes. (You can use this time to peel and slice the oranges.)
Add the orange slices to the salad and toss once more. (For a fancier presentation, cover a plate with the orange slices and top with the fennel mixture.)