- 1 cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups diced peeled apples: Jonathans, Grimes Golden or McIntosh
- 2 Serrano chilies, seeded and chopped fine
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
Combine the onion, pepper, ginger, garlic, sugar, cider and cider vinegar in a heavy one-quart nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a bare simmer over medium heat just to soften the mixture a little.
Add the apples, chilies and mint and cook gently for 2 minutes, until the apples begin to soften. Remove from the heat, add 1 teaspoon of salt or to taste. Set aside and keep warm until serving time.