- 2 oranges, skin and white pith removed and sliced thin
- 2 small fennel bulbs, trimmed and shaved paper-thin
- 3 watermelon or red radishes, sliced paper thin
- ⅔ cup loosely chopped fresh dill
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice, plus more if needed
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- Fine-grain sea salt
- 4 generous handfuls Sweet Crisp Salanova Lettuce (You can substitute frisee or arugula; the taste will be a bit different but still good.)
- Honey, if needed
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ⅓ cup feta cheese, crumbled
Combine the oranges, fennel, radish and dill in a bowl and toss with the lemon juice, olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside and marinate for 20 minutes, or up to an hour. When you are ready to serve the salad, put the Salanova in a large bowl. Add all the oranges, fennel and radish mixture, and pour most of the lemon juice dressing on top of that. Toss gently to combine.
Taste and adjust with more of the dressing, olive oil, lemon juice or salt if needed. If you need to balance the tartness of the lemons, drizzle a little bit of honey on the salad at this point. Serve topped with pine nuts and feta.
About this recipe
Recipe by Patty Emmert, Duncan Family Farms