- 1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder, 80% lean
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped orange peel, from 1 small fresh orange (slice off the outer peel in strips, leaving behind the thickest part of the pith, and chop finely)
- 1 teaspoon coarse-ground coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Chop the pork shoulder by hand to achieve a coarse-ground texture. Add the orange peel, coriander seed, red chili flakes, salt and pepper; mix. All seasoning should be well incorporated into the meat.
Allow the mixture to rest at least an hour or 2 so flavors mingle.
To make patties, form the sausage meat into half-inch-thick patties.
Add a small amount of extra-virgin olive oil to a frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown the patties on both sides, about 4 minutes per side, until cooked through but still juicy.
Reprinted with permission from Queen Creek Olive Mill Family Cookbook (2012), the Rea Family's celebration of their Italian heritage, home cooking and recipes from the Mill's restaurants. Copies are available at the market and mill in Queen Creek and at the new Olives and Oils locations at Kierland Commons and Biltmore Fashion Park (oilsandolives.com).