Easy Vegetable Gratins
Gratins are comfort foods that can dress up and show off as fancy foods!
They’re not only about potatoes! Learn how to make a variety spud-less gratins with foolproof classic and inventive versions of béchamel, a traditional but fast French mother sauce, and her cheesy “baby”, mornay sauce.
Béchamel is one of the mother sauces in classic French cooking, and one of the most important sauces to learn for all sorts of dishes. It’s the most famous “white” sauce and key ingredient in soufflés, white lasagna, mac’n cheese and many other dishes.
We’ll demystify the béchamel and make classic, mustard and low-fat béchamels and mornay sauces for several gratins.
Taste & Cook
- Culinary demo while you enjoy an appetizer and a specially-paired win
- We’ll use classic, porcini, lower fat and mustard béchamel options to make salmon Florentine gratin, prosciutto endive gratin, roasted cauliflower gratin and a beer béchamel for Welsh rarebit.
- Practice different options for béchamel sauce making and taste different results
Tasty Takeaways & Eating Well Tips:
- Tricks for lowering calories but not flavor with non-dairy and lower-fat options.
- Key culinary science and whisk tips for making the perfect traditional béchamel everytime.
- Make and take home sauce for your own gratin.
- Discuss nutrient density of key ingredients used.
Date: March 21, 2018 5:45 PM-8:00 PM
Location: The Taste Workshop | Scottsdale, AZ
Event website: thetasteworkshop.com